I’ve enjoyed these books. Some are aimed at a popular audience. Others are dense and academic. Still others fall somewhere in between. As with all books, digest the fruit, spit out the seeds.
- The Spirit of Early Christian Thought: Seeking the Face of God, Robert Wilken.
- The Christians as the Romans Saw Them, Robert Wilken.
- The Orthodox Church, Timothy Ware.
- The Lost History of Christianity: The Thousand-Year Golden Age of the Church in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia–and How It Died, Philip Jenkins.
- Defending Constantine: The Twilight of an Empire and the Dawn of Christendom, Peter Leithart.
- Jesus Wars: How Four Patriarchs, Three Queens, and Two Emperors Decided What Christians Would Believe for the Next 1,500 years, Philip Jenkins.
- Martin Luther: A Life, Martin Marty.
- Christianity’s Dangerous Idea: The Protestant Revolution: A History from the Sixteenth Century to the Twenty-First, Alister McGrath.
- Getting the Reformation Wrong: Correcting Some Misunderstandings, James R. Payton.
- The First Thanksgiving: What the Real Story Tells Us About Loving God and Learning from History, Robert McKenzie.
- The Lost Soul of American Protestantism, Daryl Hart.
- The Democratization of American Christianity, Nathan Hatch.
- American Saint: Francis Asbury and the Methodists, John Wigger.
- The Second Disestablishment: Church and State in Nineteenth-Century America, Steven Green.
- Enlisting Faith: How the Military Chaplaincy Shaped Religion and State in Modern America, Ronit Y. Stahl.
- Life Together and Prayerbook of the Bible, Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
- Sacramental Life: Spiritual Formation Through the Book of Common Prayer, David Desilva.
- Practice Resurrection: A Conversation on Growing Up in Christ, Eugene Peterson.
- The God Of The Mundane, Matt Redmond.
- The Sermons of John Wesley: A Collection for the Christian Journey, Kenneth J. Collins (ed) and Jason E. Vickers (ed).
- Remember Who You Are: Baptism, a Model for Christian Life, William H. Willimon.
- Beyond Smells and Bells: The Wonder and Power of Christian Liturgy, Mark Galli.
- Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist: Unlocking the Secrets of the Last Supper, Brant Pitre.
- The Mass of the Early Christians, Mike Aquilina.
- At the Origins of Christian Worship: The Context and Character of Earliest Christian Devotion, Larry Hurtado.
- John Wesley’s Prayer Book: The Sunday Service of the Methodists in North America, James F. White (ed).
- The Shape of the Liturgy, Gregory Dix.
- Ancient-Future Worship: Proclaiming and Enacting God’s Narrative, Robert Webber.
- Desiring the Kingdom, James K. A. Smith.
- The Meal that Jesus Gave Us: Understanding Holy Communion, N. T. Wright.
- Ancient Christian Worship: Early Church Practices in Social, Historical, and Theological Perspective, Andrew B. McGowan.
- “I Believe”: Exploring the Apostles’ Creed, Alister McGrath.
- The Creed: What Christians Believe and Why it Matters, Luke Timothy Johnson.
- The Creedal Imperative, Carl Trueman.
- Luther’s Small Catechism, Martin Luther.
Theology & Ecclesiology
- Classic Christianity: A Systematic Theology, Thomas Oden.
- Visible Church-Visible Unity: Ecumenical Ecclesiology and “The Great Tradition of the Church”, Ola Tjorhom.
- Evangelical Theology: A Biblical and Systematic Introduction, Michael F. Bird.
- The King Jesus Gospel: The Original Good News Revisited, Scot McKnight.
- Salvation by Allegiance Alone: Rethinking Faith, Works, and the Gospel of Jesus the King, Matthew W. Bates.
- A Great and Terrible Love: A Spiritual Journey Into the Attributes of God, Mark Galli.
- The Theology of John Wesley: Holy Love and the Shape of Grace, Kenneth J. Collins.
- John Wesley’s Teachings: Volumes 1-4, Thomas Oden.
- Ancient Near Eastern Themes in Biblical Theology, Jeffrey Jay Niehaus.
- The Greco-Roman World of the New Testament Era: Exploring the Background & Early Christianity, James Jeffers.
- Honor, Patronage, Kinship and Purity: Unlocking New Testament Culture, David Desilva.
- In the Shadow of the Temple: Jewish Influences on Early Christianity, Oskar Skarsaune.
- Among the Gentiles: Greco-Roman Religion and Christianity, Luke Timothy Johnson.
- The Gospel of the Lord: How the Early Church Wrote the Story of Jesus, Michael F. Bird.
- Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony, Richard Bauckham.
- How on Earth Did Jesus Become a God?: Historical Questions about Earliest Devotion to Jesus, Larry Hurtado.
- Justification: God’s Plan & Paul’s Vision, N. T. Wright.
- Inspiration and Incarnation: Evangelicals and the Problem of the Old Testament, Peter Enns.
- The Evolution of Adam, Peter Enns.
- Jesus is Lord, Caesar is Not, Scot McKnight, Joseph Modica, Andy Crouch, et. al.
- Laying Down the Sword: Why We Can’t Ignore the Bible’s Violent Verses, Philip Jenkins.
- The Crucifixion: Understanding the Death of Jesus Christ, Fleming Rutledge.
- Echoes of Exodus: Tracing Themes of Redemption Through Scripture, Alastair J. Roberts and Andrew P. Wilson.
Humanity and Public Life
- Body, Soul, and Human Life: The Nature of Humanity in the Bible, Joel Green.
- How God Changes Your Brain: Breakthrough Findings from a Leading Neuroscientist, Andrew B. Newberg, Mark Robert Waldman.
- To Change the World: The Irony, Tragedy, and Possibility of Christianity in the Late Modern World, James Davison Hunter.
- Unspeakable: Facing Up to Evil in an Age of Genocide and Terror, Os Guinness.
- The Redemption of Love: Rescuing Marriage and Sexuality from the Economics of a Fallen World, Carrie Miles.
- Slaves, Women and Homosexuals: Exploring the Hermeneutics of Cultural Analysis, William Webb.
- Abortion and the Early Church, Michael J. Gorman.
- Healing for a Broken World: Christian Perspectives on Public Policy, Steve Monsma.
- Christianity at the Religious Roundtable: Evangelicalism in Conversation with Hinduism, Buddhism, and Islam, Timothy C. Tennent.
- Christians and the Military: The Early Experience, John Helgeland.
- Pax Romana, Adrian Goldsworthy.
- Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, Laura Hillenbrand.
- Forging the Warrior’s Character: Moral Precepts from the Cadet Prayer, Don Snider.
- True Faith and Allegiance: The Burden of Military Ethics, James H. Toner.
- Morals Under The Gun: The Cardinal Virtues, Military Ethics, And American Society, James H. Toner.
- God’s Hiddenness in Combat: Toward Christian Reflection on Battle, Preston Jones.
- Death Letter: God, Sex and War, David Peters.
- On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society, David Grossman
- On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace, David Grossman
- Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the Undoing of Character, Jonathan Shay.
- Odysseus in America: Combat Trauma and the Trials of Homecoming, Jonathan Shay.
- Killing from the Inside Out, Robert Emmet Meagher.